Click to Home
Go To Search
City of Manistee
70 Maple Street
Manistee, MI 49660
Ph: (231) 723-2558
History
Water Works Company
The Water Works Company entered into a contract with the City of Manistee in 1882 to lay pipe down the principal streets and install 50 hydrants. During this era there were hand pumps on the street corners where residents could obtain water.
 
Water Works Company was steam powered prior to 1947. In 1947 figures proved that the city would be able to pump water for half the cost by switching from steam power to electricity, causing City Manager Ernest Neumann to call for the change. This change essentially shut down the waterworks building that is still located on First Street in the City of Manistee.

Water Location
The city’s water is provided from a well field in the southeast section of the city. This location is the site of a prehistoric Manistee river channel. In 1997, an additional well was drilled at the Manistee County Airport to provide water from a different aquifer and provide additional capacity.

The City of Manistee Water Department currently operates four wells and two 500,000 gallon water towers and pumps approximately 400 million gallons of water per year.

More Information
For more information about the history of the Manistee water system visit:
Manistee County Historical Museum
425 River St.
Manistee, MI 49660

Or

Water Works Museum
540 First St.
Manistee, MI 49660